Luffness New Golf Club was established in l894 when its course was designed by Old Tom Morris. Golf was originally played on the “old” Luffness course from 1867 on land to the west and north of the current course, round the back of Gullane Hill on the land of Luffness Estate and Gullane Common, although it is thought golf in the Aberlady area dates back to the 16th century.
In 1893 a dispute arose regarding the playing of golf on Gullane Common. The outcome of the dispute was in 1894 Mr Henry Hope, owner of Luffness Estate, decided to establish a course entirely on the Luffness Estate land. This resulted in a course, designed by Tom Morris being laid out on its current location and the formation of Luffness New Golf Club. The original Luffness golf club eventually moved to a location further west, nearer Aberlady and became Kilspindie Golf Club.
The full history of the club can be found in the Centenary Book “One Hundred Years at Luffness New – 1894 to 1994″.